A CONTEXT FOR DESIGN
There are a few key factors when thinking about design in our connected world:
1. People engage an average 3,000 messages a day via text, email and the web
2. Most spend only a few seconds on websites skim reading as they go
3. Many communication platforms are now connected —from POS to receipts to events—it’s one connected ‘experience’
4. The user is the most important party, they have needs and they’re looking to accomplish tasks quickly and efficiently
5. There are many different sized devices that connect to the internet - the mobile is the most popular.
In light of the above, many businesses are now design-led developing concise, consistent and compelling product, strategy and experiences for their audiences.
DESIGN IN THREE STAGES
Wherever possible I see working in three stages to create effective design. First, create brand or product definition. Second, create a system of parts and assets that help you tell that story and third, continue to develop and innovate the brand or product using that system, continually anticipating the needs of the audience and staying current with best practices and new technologies.
Business/Org Identity (Case Statement, Vision, Mission, Values, Attributes, Brand Essence, Audience, Key Product or Service, Competitive Landscape, and Competitive Advantage)
Who you are and who you’re not
Succinct message/pitch (1 page)
Communicate quickly in brief statements
Get the whole team on the same page
Brand System* and Style Guide
Customer facing Brand Narrative
Business Stationery (letterhead, envelopes and business cards)
UX & UI design (apps)
Environmental graphics (signage)
Keep all designed assets current
New marketing campaigns and concepts
New product development
Recruitment & Staff development
Marketing templates (email, web page)
* A Brand System is a visual and verbal kit of parts, namely (but not limited to) a set of fonts, colors and patterns, a collection of positioning statements, a sound mark, a tag line, and an entity name and logo. Having a Brand System allows for swift and easy updating of all platforms saving time, money and energy plus everyone on your team has the kit so you look and sound the same everywhere.